This chowder always disappears. It disappeared when my mom made it, and it's a hit now with my family too!
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups peeled chopped potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams
- salt and pepper
- Cook potato in 2 cups water with pinch of salt until tender, but do not drain.
- In a small pan, saute onion in butter until tender; add flour, cayenne, and celery seed; stir well.
- Drain juice from clams into potatoes and reserve clams for later.
- Add parsley and milk to potatoes, and stir well.
- Heat potato mixture, and add onion/flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened slightly.
- Stir in clams; and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes more or until heated through.