1/3 Photos of Mom's Clam Chowder
Sue Lau's Note:
This chowder always disappears. It disappeared when my mom made it, and it's a hit now with my family too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups peeled chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook potato in 2 cups water with pinch of salt until tender, but do not drain.
- 2In a small pan, saute onion in butter until tender; add flour, cayenne, and celery seed; stir well.
- 3Drain juice from clams into potatoes and reserve clams for later.
- 4Add parsley and milk to potatoes, and stir well.
- 5Heat potato mixture, and add onion/flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened slightly.
- 6Stir in clams; and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cook for 5-10 minutes more or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.0
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 1141.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 31.8 g