Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is so easy to make and is so good (especially in a bread bowl!) I keep a few cans of clams in the cupboard so that I can make it anytime!
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 -3 cups potatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Dice celery, onion, and potatoes (I use a food processor for the onion and celery, but if you want larger pieces that is fine too).
- Place in saucepan.
- Drain juice from clams and pour over the vegetables.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- In another medium to large pot melt butter.
- Add flour and half & half.
- Cook mixture stirring constantly until thick and smooth.
- Add the vegetables with the juice and clams to the cream sauce.
- Add salt, pepper (to taste), and sugar.
- Cook a few minutes longer until heated through and serve.
I nade this as written the first time but it just wasn't what I enjoyed in Maine so, I then made sone changes recommended by a friend that grew up in Maine, I omited the celery and added 1/2 cup finely diced ham which I sauted in the real butter with the onion. I used canned potatoes as I have found they hold their shape better and are easier. Regular potatoes often fall apart in soups and stews. I used only caned evaporated milk instead of half-and-half. I reserved the juice from 1 can of clams to add to the chowder. I used instant potato flakes to thicken instead of flour. I know... my changes make this an entirely different chowder but that's the great thing about recipes.. you can be creative to suit your own taste. Thank you Quest4Zbest and please forgive me for making changes to you already great recipe.
This recipe is so easy and really good. I'm not a big fan of clam chowder but this one I love and never get sick of it.
I love this clam chowder! It is one of only two clam chowders that I'll eat. It is very thick and creamy and delicious! Try it, you'll love it too!