1/1 Photo of Mom's Clam Chowder
Pvt Amys Mom's Note:
Ummm thick and Creamy!! This is a good one!! I don't care for clams so I divide this soup in half before I add the clams and I have an awesome potato soup for myself and my daughter and my happy hubby gets all the clam chowder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can chopped clams (you can add 2 cans if you really like clams)
- 1/4 lb bacon (diced)
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 4 large potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1Chop or dice all of your vegetables and set aside.
- 2Drain clams, save the liquid.
- 3(I usually throw in the extra clam juice for the added flavor, you will get about 1/2 cup of juice from the can of clams).
- 4(I start the bacon and the vegetables all in the pan that I will finish the soup in- then you get the flavor from the bacon crustys on the bottom).
- 5Fry bacon bits and set aside.
- 6Drain off all bacon fat but enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- 7Saute potato, onion, celery and carrot in bacon drippings for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the clam juice, salt and pepper, thyme and chopped parsley.
- 9Cook for 20 minutes or until the veggys are all fork tender.
- 10Add the 1/2 and 1/2.
- 11Add the Bacon.
- 12(This is where I divide the soup if you want a pot of potato soup as well).
- 13Add the clams.
- 14Thicken to desired consistency with cornstarch and water.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.1
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 448.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 16.5 g