Recipe by Chef on the coast
I grew up eating these. My mom is a great cook and most of the time had something tasty going on in the kitchen. DH and kids look forward to the times when I make these. I make them the night before and let them rise in the fridge overnight. The trick is getting up before everyone else to get them in the oven... This recipe can easily be halved. Still use the 1 egg if doing so.
Top Review by TasteTester
Wow! These are fantastic. I made them exactly as written and they came out perfectly. I did not have a problem with the filling oozing out, but I kept it an inch inside the edge of the dough so they turned out great. The flavor --- what can I say except they are the BEST cinnamon rolls I've ever had. I didn't refrigerate mine; I just baked them as soon as they were rolled and cut into pieces. We're going to have them again on Christmas morning. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, no substitutes
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, oil, baking powder, salt, egg and 2-3 cups flour and nutmeg. Beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle and not sticky. Knead until smooth.
- Let rise until double. About an hour.
- Grease two 9x13 baking pans.
- Divide dough in half and roll each portion into 12x10 rectangle.
- Heat brown sugar, cinnamon and butter until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and spread over each rolled out dough piece. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Roll each section starting at a long side. Roll tightly. Using a piece of thread, slice each roll so there are 12 pieces.
- Place in greased pans and cover pans tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight - up to 48 hours.
- In the morning: Remove foil or plastic wrap and bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- May also let rise in pan 1 hour then bake - skipping refrigeration step.