1/1 Photo of Mom's Christmas Swedish Meatballs
1 hr 30 mins
My mom found this recipe years ago in the newspaper and has perfected it over the years. We all make it every year for Christmas, it just isn't Christmas without these luscious meatballs!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute onions in 3 T. butter. Let cool a bit and lightly mix the meat, onions, bread crumbs, eggs, 1 1/2 cups of the cream. salt, pepper, nutmeg and parsley. Form into meatballs, about the size of a small walnut, place on cookie trays, and bake at 375 for 20-25 mn.
- 2Put in two casseroles, and make the cream gravy.
- 3Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a large, heavy saucepan Add the 1/4 cup flour, a touch more salt and pepper, cook for at least one minute. Do not brown. Gradually add the remaining cream, stirring continuously, until thickened. I like to add some Kitchen Bouquet for more flavor and some color at this point.
- 4Pour over the meatballs.
- 5Note: At this point, we generally freeze them and then defrost and bake for an hour or so on Christmas, as this recipe makes a lot of meatballs, so it is time consuming and who wants to do all that on the day of, right?.
- 6Also, you can freeze the cooked meatballs alone, and make the gravy later and pour it over the meatballs right before you bake them.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Christmas Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 885.6
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 293.5 mg
- Sodium 1149.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 44.5 g