Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this one from my mom; my brother and I got these every year in our Christmas stockings. Mom would also wrap them in colored Saran wrap and put in gift baskets and tins to give to friends.
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -4 candy canes, crushed
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar, water, corn syrup, salt, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat until mixture reaches hardball stage (250 degrees) Remove from heat and add 1/2 tsp vanilla and the crushed candy canes.
- Pour mixture over the popcorn in a slow steady stream, then mix thoroughly.
- Shape into balls (about the size of a baseball works well) and put on wax paper to harden.