Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
This is a tradition in my family and everyone looks forward to it. It's almost like a carrot cake and the sauce may sound a little odd but I never have it without it.
- 1 cup grated raw carrot
- 1 cup grated raw potato
- 1 cup grated raw apple
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash allspice
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Put everything for the pudding in a big bowl and mix it up so it is combined.
- Place batter in greased molds and carefully cover with tinfoil.
- You do not want any water falling over into the batter or it will be ruined.
- Put molds in a pot big enough to fit leaving a little room around the edges to pour the water into the pot.
- Fill the pot with water halfway up the side of the molds.
- Cover with lid and steam for 2 to 3 hours.
- Check to make sure the pot doesn't run dry.
- The pudding is done when it has a cake-like look to it.
- You may have to steam for a longer period of time.
- It is best to make this a few days ahead of time and cool it in a pantry or fridge so that the flavors may blend.
- Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Add water.
- Cook until thickens and clear looking.
- Add vinegar and stir.
- Make this the day you are going to serve.
this is an awesome recipes, however mine doesn't have apple in it, it calls for suet,but i will def try this one
How can one live without carrot pudding?? It's the best stuff on earth. Don't attempt Christmas without it! And the sauce is an absolute must.
It wouldn't be Christmas without this Carrot Pudding. My mom makes it every year, and my grandmother before her. Narshmellow is right, the sauce is what really makes this pudding outstanding. I think the sauce tastes best warm.