Recipe by laurenpie
Delicious and moist, with a light texture and unique topping. Not overly chocolaty, and the zucchini is not prominent in the flavor or texture. LOAF VARIATION: stir the topping INTO the batter instead of sprinking on top, bake in two bread loaf pans; then DON'T add any topping on top. I like the loaf variation, because it's wonderful toasted on following days. FAMILY NOTE: This is Mom-mom's recipe except that she used margarine and vegetable oil instead of butter and olive oil.
- 2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour baking pan(s), either metal or glass okay. Use 9 x 13" pan for sheetcake, or (2) loaf pans for the loaf variation.
- Combine the 1/4 cup chocolate chips and chopped walnuts in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Peel and grate the zucchini. Set aside.
- Cream butter, oil and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well, then stir in zucchini.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 13" pan, sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- For loaf option: stir the chocolate chips and walnuts into the batter, pour into two loaf pans, same baking temperature and time.