Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious and moist. The unusual topping is far better than frosting! Family Note: This is Mom-mom's recipe except that she used margarine and vegetable oil instead of butter and olive oil.
- 2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" X 13" baking pan, either metal or glass okay.
- Peel and grate the zucchini. Set aside.
- Combine chocolate chips and chopped walnuts in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter, oil and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well, then stir in zucchini.
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.