Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
When Mom and Pop got married, Pop had to call Mamaw to get this recipe. When he was growing up, they were really poor (Papaw was a Baptist preacher and worked at various jobs. Back then life was hard for a preacher with 4 kids). This was one of their "desserts". Mom also made this when we were growing up and to this day, I still love a big hot heapin helpin. One might ask how do you eat "chocolate gravy"? With homemade "cat-head" biscuits (Mamaw called them this because she made them "big as a cat's head") or canned country-style (Do not try this with one of those flaky-type canned biscuits - it just isn't the same.) and a chunk of butter about the size of the tip of your thumb. Let it kinda melt, then eat away. This is just like any other gravy, other than the addition of the butter at the table. I eat this with milk or coffee as the beverage, as nothing else tastes good. This is Redneck comfort food at its finest! **Times and yield are approximate. Please z-mail me with what you come up with.**
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (we prefer Hershey's)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a heavy saucepan with a whisk. Using a whisk blends everything better than a spoon. Stir in the milk.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove the pot when the mixture is thick like pudding.
- Add the butter. Stir in until completely melted. Serve over biscuits with a teaspoon of butter dolloped on top.
From the Northeast. Learned of Chocolate Gravy when I served in the Army. Buddies mom would bring four of us to Tennessee from South Carolina. She would serve us this for breakfast. Brings back alot of fond memories.
I have never had chocolate gravy before. Whenever I saw the recipes I actually thought it sounded kind of gross putting a chocolate sauce over biscuits. I got curious and made a small batch today for some leftover biscuits I had. OMG! I am so addicted! I even made another small batch again. Love this! Thanks :)
Made this for my family this morning. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED it!! It is a fantastic recipe!! Brought back memories of Saturday mornings at my Moms house!! LOVE!! LOVE!! LOVE!!