Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a dish my mom has been making forever. It is very tasty and appeals to all. We only serve this dish occasionally as it is pretty high salt -- although it is probably lower in sodium than anything you would get at a Chinese restaurant. You should adjust the garlic and ginger to your taste as my mom has never measured how much she uses. We usually serve this with brown rice and a couple of vegetables (a green and an orange so that the table is aesthetically pleasing).
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped or broken into large pieces
- 3⁄4 cup water, warm
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- Make sure to start your rice before starting the Walnut Chicken!
- Cut chicken into half-inch pieces.
- Mix 3 T cornstarch, 2 T of the oil and 2 T soy sauce in the bottom of a large bowl (add more soy sauce if needed, until the cornstarch is smooth and semi-liquid).
- Add the sugar, garlic and ginger powder and mix.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat. Put aside.
- Heat 1 T oil in a large frying pan. Fry the walnuts until they are golden brown. It takes a while to get the nuts up to temperature, but then they brown very rapidly.
- Move the walnuts to a separate bowl.
- Put the chicken in the heated frying pan and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, until the pieces are separated.
- Add the nuts to the chicken and stir-fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the warm water and 1/2 C of soy sauce to the pan and stir to make a sauce.
- If more sauce is desired, just add additional water and heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
We make it with low-sodium soy sauce and use a little less to cut back on salt.
I thought the dish could have been exelent but the salt was just to overpowering we couldnt eat it. I am going to try it again but will change the sauce some to be less salty. the cornstarch mixture on the chicken was fantastic however once the sauce was made it was just horribly salty.