Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom took the chili recipe off of the Mexene chili powder bottle and tweaked it a bit. We love it and hope you do too!
- 2 lbs 98% lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (Mexene)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Brown the beef, onion and garlic. Drain excess fat.
- Blend two of the cans of kidney beans to make a paste.
- Combine all ingredients into a pot. Simmer for at least 30 minutes (recommend 1 hour).
- Serve with the toppings of your choice: fritos, cheese, sour cream, onion.
I usually make chili that's a bit harsh for most tastes, but frequently I have to make something for the whole family. I tried this recipe and it is absolutely delicious. Just a hint of heat, but a whole lot of flavor. Everyone, young and old, absolutely gobbled it up! Thickening it with the blended beans is a great idea. Well done, mom!