Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is the chili recipe that my mom has made for our family since I was a child. This recipe is not spicy nor is it bound together with tomato sauce/paste.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can diced tomato (1 pound plus)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- In a large pot, saute oil, onion, garlic, and ground chuck until the ground chuck is brown (drain off oil if you desire at this point).
- In a small bowl, dissolve chili powder in boiling water.
- Add chili powder/water mixture to the meat mixture; mix well.
- Add tomatoes, salt, oregano, and basil to the meat mixture; mix well.
- Simmer covered over low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir in red wine and kidney beans.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat for another 20 minutes.
This is the type of chili I like, not too hot and not overpowered with tomatoes. I had just over a lb of ground beef, kept all the ingredient amounts the same except the wine (I used 3/4 cup_ and only used 1 tsp of the oregano. Thanks for sharing.