Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best chili I've ever had. Mom's recipe is simple to make. It's somewhat spicy, but I'm not a big spicy food person and I don't find this too spicy. For those who like spicier foods, you may want to doctor it up with more chili powder or just add hot sauce to the individual servings.
- 1 lb ground meat (beef or turkey)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans (or a combination) or 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (or a combination) or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (or a combination)
- onion flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
1 packet chili seasoning mix OR the two following ingredients
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Brown ground meat on high heat.
- Add spices (minced onion, chili seasoning, salt, pepper) when browned
- Add tomato sauce and canned beans (medium heat)
- Let simmer on low heat; 1 + hours gives better flavoring; Can be done on the stove or in a crock pot
- Serve with cornbread, crackers, and/or cheese as desired and available.