Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a great basic chili recipe with lots of flavor that I (a non-chili aficionado) think tastes good even without sour cream and shredded cheese, which is saying a lot. It tastes better the second day, as chili often does. Mom used to make this sans-meat when we were vegetarians
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced (can be omitted)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 -3 dash hot sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in stock pot.
- Add green pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Saute until cooked (onions soft and translucent).
- Add ground beef, cook ’til brown and drain.
- Add remaining ingredients except for beans. Simmer for at least one hour.
- Add beans and heat through (15-20 minutes).