Prep 7 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Mom got the recipe from her Mennonite Cook Book. I always seem to lose the written recipe and have to call her for it. I use a clove of garlic, diced tomatoes, light and dark kidney beans, 3 tsp of chili powder. This recipe is so easy to tweak. This is GREAT the next day! Wonderful over french fries or mashed potatoes too! Freezes very well. Easily doubled.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (lean is preferred)
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes (stewed or diced, your choice)
- 18 ounces kidney beans (drained)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cocoa powder (optional)
- Heat olive oil over med-hi heat.
- Add onions and garlic, sauté for a few minutes (does not have to be browned).
- Add beef and cook until beef is browned; drain, if necessary.
- Once meat is cooked, add tomatoes, beans, sauce, green peppers, chili powder and paprika.
- Lower heat to med-lo and let "simmer" for 2 hours to let flavours mingle.
- I don't know how long you actually should do this, this is just what I do.
- Next time I make this, I will sauté the onion and beef, then put the whole lot into my crock pot for all day cooking.
- This is GREAT the next day!
- Wonderful over french fries or mashed potatoes too!
Served this delicious Chili in bowls along with crusty rolls fresh from the oven. The 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder had me intrigued but ... I know I'll be having to give it a try at some point! Next time around I'll be following your suggestion and saute the meat and onions and simmer it in the crock pot ... but will be doubling the recipe ... in order to freeze, will make for a great meal to have on hand for a busy day. Thank you for a recipe we so enjoyed.