2 hrs 27 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Mom got the recipe from her Mennonite Cook Book. I always seem to lose the written recipe and have to call her for it. I use a clove of garlic, diced tomatoes, light and dark kidney beans, 3 tsp of chili powder. This recipe is so easy to tweak. This is GREAT the next day! Wonderful over french fries or mashed potatoes too! Freezes very well. Easily doubled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (lean is preferred)
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes (stewed or diced, your choice)
- 18 ounces kidney beans (drained)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 1Heat olive oil over med-hi heat.
- 2Add onions and garlic, sauté for a few minutes (does not have to be browned).
- 3Add beef and cook until beef is browned; drain, if necessary.
- 4Once meat is cooked, add tomatoes, beans, sauce, green peppers, chili powder and paprika.
- 5Lower heat to med-lo and let "simmer" for 2 hours to let flavours mingle.
- 6I don't know how long you actually should do this, this is just what I do.
- 7Next time I make this, I will sauté the onion and beef, then put the whole lot into my crock pot for all day cooking.
- 8This is GREAT the next day!
- 9Wonderful over french fries or mashed potatoes too!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.6
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 500.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 15.9 g