1/1 Photo of Mom's Chicken Stew
1 hr 30 mins
Carrie September's Note:
I make this stew on cold days or when someone just isn't feeling well. It's a fabulous comfort food that smells great all day and helps chase the sniffles away...and it's easy too...the worste part is cleaning the meat off the chicken but don't use boneless, skinless because it just won't be the same! There's definately something in the bones that gives the stew it's rich home cooked flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place cleaned chicken in a 6 quart soup pot and cover with water.
- 2Bring chicken to a boil, reduce heat to medium and slow boil for 1 hour to cook the chicken and create a chicken broth.
- 3Skim fat off the top and add more water if necessary to keep chicken covered.
- 4Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- 5Strain all of the fat out of the chicken broth.
- 6Mix the chicken base and water into the broth.
- 7Add onions, carrots, potatoes, pepper and parsley to the broth and bring it up to a slow boil for 30 minutes.
- 8While the veggies cook remove all the meat from the chicken and add it to the pot.
- 9Melt butter in the microwave for 40 seconds in a glass measuring cup.
- 10Add the flour to the butter and stir until smooth and creamy.
- 11Pour into the boiling soup and stir to mix.
- 12Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken and then serve.
- 13TinTN: You make a good point that sometimes it does not thicken, I think sometimes the potatoes have more starch than other times and that there may be more or less stock when you take out the chicken because I have that problem at times too. My solution -- I make another batch of the butter and flour and add some more until it thickens. Hope it helps!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.0
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 206.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 25.5 g