This is my Mom's variation of the classical Bulgarian Moussaka (which I have also posted). It might have more steps but it's easier to bake. Cooking time includes boiling the potatoes while you fry the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk (or probably less)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 -3 eggs (depending on size)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1Boil the potatoes, peel them and smash them in a bowl together with the butter and some salt and add enough milk to get a soft but by no means liquid mass (in fact its up to you to decide how thick you want it to be).
- 2In a frying pan put the 2 tbl oil, the chicken, the tomato paste, cumin, pepper, nutmeg and some salt and start frying dividing the meat with a fork until it starts to fall apart into crumbs.
- 3Grease a baking tin with the remaining oil (dont forget the sides too), spread half of the potatoes on the bottom, pour the chicken over them and cover it with the remaining potatoes.
- 4Preheat the oven to a medium temperature and put the moussaka in and let it heat for 5 min.
- 5In a bowl beat the yogurt with the eggs the thyme, a bit of salt and some black pepper.
- 6Pour the yogurt mixture over the moussaka and bake until it gets golden brown (about 10-15 min).
- 7When ready take out of the oven and leave to cool a bit potatoes cool very slowly.
- 8Serve very warm.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken & Potato Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.0
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 231.8 mg
- Sodium 296.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 33.1 g