Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my all time favorite food. I can never get it as good as hers, but it's still delicious. Also, we're both visual cooks, so the measurements may be a little off. Use more cheese if you're a cheese lover like me.
- 1 pie shell (pre-made, frozen, or homemade)
- 1 chicken breast (2 if you like a lot of chicken)
- 8 ounces peas
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup creole seasoning (more if you like)
- 1 (8 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 bouillon cube
For Cheese Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces half-and-half cream (you won't use all of it)
- all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In pan, melt butter on medium high.
- When melted, add flour to fully cover all of the butter on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir with a wisk and lower the temperature to med-low.
- It should start to have a cookie dough-like consistency.
- Constantly wisk so that the dough/sauce never browns or burns.
- Slowly add cream and stir with wisk.
- Add more and more cream, untill it has a creamy sauce consistency. When creamy, add shredded cheese slowly and wisk.
- In a seperate pan add the butter and chopped seasoning. Let it cook down into the butter.
- While waiting, cut up the chicken breasts and cook in a separate pan.
- In a pot, add can of condensed cream of chicken soup and seasoning mixture.
- Reduce it to a more liquid form, by adding chicken broth.
- Add the chicken, peas, and sour cream.
- Let it cook and simmer, but stirring all the time so the cheese does not burn.
- Precook the pie shell in a glass pie dish until it is firm - not brown.
- Pour in the contents of the pan into the warmed pie shell.
- If using a top, cut around glass pie dish and press with fingers. If not, just place in oven.
- Cut slits in the top for venting the pie.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until shell is light brown.