1/2 Photos of Mom's Chicken Parmigiana
1 hr 15 mins
This is my mom's recipe that I used to think was extremely complicated. This recipe is super easy and you can make the chicken cutlets without the parmigiana for a super quick and easy after work dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup olive oil or 1/3 cup butter
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, I use Italian style
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1To make the chicken cutlets, heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a heavy 10-12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery.
- 2Gently pound out chicken breasts to flatten slightly.
- 3Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a wide, shallow bowl.
- 4Whisk egg and water in another shallow bowl.
- 5Spread 1/4 cup flour on a plate.
- 6Coat the chicken with the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, patting with your fingers to make crumbs stick.
- 7Add the chicken to olive oil and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, turn the cutlets and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add a little more oil if the pan looks dry. Blot the chicken with paper towels.
- 8To make the parmigiana; melt butter in a medium pan. Saute onions and add garlic for about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and paste. Slowly add paste until you get desired thickness, you may not need all of it. Add italian seasoning and oregano. Cook over medium heat until hot.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch pan or shallow baking dish.
- 10Spoon 1/2 cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of the pan. Arrange the chicken cutlets over the sauce, slightly overlapping them. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- 11Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce over the top of cutlets. Top with mozzarella cheese slices and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- 12Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 25 minutes. Take foil off and bake another 5 to brown the top.
- 13Serve over your favorite pasta!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.7
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 2764.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 56.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: