1 hr 15 mins
I got this recipe from a friend a few years ago. It quickly turned into a family favorite. Everybody requests it when they come to our house for dinner. It is a good way to use leftover chicken. You can use white meat turkey as well if you have any of that left over at Thanksgiving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -36 white corn tortillas (12inch )
- 5 -6 chicken breasts, baked and skinned then chopped
- 1/2 lb white cheese, shredded
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, mild, chopped
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup (I use the Healthy Request reduced sodium ones)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Saute' celery and mushrooms in small amount of oil and drain. Set aside.
- 3Skin chicken and cook. Let cool and then chop into bite size pieces.
- 4Place chicken in large mixing bowl.
- 5To chicken, add the onions, celery, mushrooms and diced green chilies.
- 6Add a little less than 1/2 the cheese to the chicken mixture.
- 7Mix the soup with the container of sour cream plus 1 c milk to thin it.
- 8Add 3/4 c of the soup mixture to the chicken mixture and mix well (if it is still too stiff, add a little more of the soup mixture making sure not to get it runny). Set aside while you get the tortillas ready.
- 9Heat a skillet on low heat. Place two or three tortillas in the skillet and warm on both sides.
- 10Remove from skillet as they soften up and place them on a plate covered with a kitchen towel.
- 11When they are all ready you can begin to fill them.
- 12Use a 9X13 casserole.
- 13Place a large serving spoon of the soup mixture on the bottom of the casserole and spread out evenly.
- 14In the center of each tortilla place a spoon full of filling.
- 15Fold over to middle as you roll to a tight tortilla.
- 16Place seam side down in casserole and continue to fill each tortilla.
- 17When they are all filled and in casserole, cover with the the remaining sauce and cheese.
- 18Bake 30-35 minutes until cheese is melted and they are bubbly hot.
- 19Let stand a few minutes after they come out of the oven.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.2
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 601.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: