Recipe by ladimo
My mother's chicken curry. So aromatic that once in college I was picked up by my father at school after a cold, wet weekend of caving, got into our small car and said accusatorily "You had curry for dinner!!!" Like the old recipe for hare (First catch your hare) this goes more quickly if you have roasted, skinned and boned your chicken in advance. I pour a cup to cup and a half of water into the roasting pan and use this plus additional water to deglaze the pan (enough to yield one cup of defatted pan drippings in water). This gives you your cup of water that you need later in the recipe when you add the chicken.
- 2 medium yellow onions (a hot onion, not Vidalia)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 -5 hot dried Thai chiles
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 lbs oven-roasted chicken meat, torn into pieces
- 1 cup water, mixed with pan drippings from chicken (defatted)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 pint plain yogurt (lowfat or nonfat is okay) or 1⁄2 pint sour cream (lowfat or nonfat is okay)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place Step 1 ingredients into blender or food processer & blend until smooth.
- Heat 3 T oil in a large shallow saute pan or frying pan and add the cumin and the onion mixture from step 1. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated -- about 25 minutes. Add 3 more T oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When oil starts to separate from onion mixture, add Step 3 ingredients (tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric and salt)& blend thoroughly. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add torn, cooked chicken,1 cup chicken drippings in water, & 1 t fresh lemon juice (Step 4 ingredients). Mix thoroughly, coating chicken pieces. Cover and simmer about 10-15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add 1/2 pint plain nonfat yogurt, stir and heat through.