Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the ultimate comfort food for me. Growing up, this was one of my family's favorite meals. This version, though, is a little bit healthier than the 1970's casserole.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut-up fryer
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned flour
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups water
- Place chicken and flour in a large freezer bag, shake to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Brown chicken in the oil. Remove chicken, cover and keep warm.
- Stir soup, water and seasonings into the same pan and bring to a slow boil, scraping the bottom and sides with a spatula.
- Pour rice into a 2-3 quart covered casserole dish and stir in all but 1 cup of soup mixture.
- Place browned chicken on top of the rice and pour remaining 1cup over all.
- Bake, covered at 375F for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
You're absolutely right - this is comfort food. In fact, next time I'm going to double the "gravy" part just to have with leftover rice. Truly delicious. Thanks for posting.