Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is something I ate as a kid, many a Friday evening. Mom would serve it for Shabbat dinner along with some challah from the bakery.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 celery ribs
- baby carrots
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sprinkle a layer of uncooked rice at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Wash and cut up whole chicken (or use whatever pieces you like -- a pack of thighs would be suitable.
- Slice onion and celery stalks and toss these with some baby carrots over the rice.
- Season the veggies with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken over the veggies and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Add water, cover tightly and bake about an hour at about 375.