1/3 Photos of Mom's Chicken and Dumplings (Chicken Paprika)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This was a staple at our house when I was growing up. My mom made this about two times a month and often had to double the dumplings! Since my mom is not good at exact measurements, I tried my best to recreate this great one pot meal from her verbal instructions. She calls this Chicken Paprika, but I am told it would have to have sour cream in it, and it doesn't, which is fine with me :) ****NOTE 1/15/08: I've adjusted the quantities of salt and paprika because depending on what kind of chicken you use, different amounts of water will be used, needing different amounts of spicing. You may also increase the pepper and garlic, if desired, but be careful as garlic should not be a dominant flavor in this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs chicken thighs, skin removed (boneless thighs if you can find them)
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon paprika
- 1In a stock pot or dutch oven saute onions in butter until tender.
- 2Add water until pot is about 1/3 full.
- 3Add chicken thighs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
- 4Make sure water is covering the chicken, if not add more until it just covers.
- 5Bring to a boil and then simmer for 90 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- 6In the meantime, make the dumplings: Mix the flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a medium bowl until combined.
- 7Make a well in the center and drop in the egg and about 1/2 cup water.
- 8Stir and add more water by the tablespoon until you have a sticky dough that just leaves the side of the bowl.
- 9In a different large pot from chicken, boil water.
- 10Drop dumpling mixture by the teaspoon into the boiling water.
- 11(I use a regular teaspoon from my flatware, not a measuring spoon.) If dumpling mix is too sticky to drop from spoon, then dip the spoon into the boiling water, the dumpling should slide right off.
- 12When dumplings start floating on top, remove them with a slotted spoon or drain them.
- 13You may have to reduce the heat to see when they are floating.
- 14About 30 minutes before chicken should be done, add the dumplings to the pot with the chicken.
- 15After 30 minutes, you should have a delicious dish: the chicken should be tender enough that it is falling off of the bone and the dumplings should have made a thicker sauce out of the liquid the chicken was cooking inches.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken and Dumplings (Chicken Paprika)
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.3
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 290.8 mg
- Sodium 843.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 58.2 g