1 hr 30 mins
This is one of those recipes of my mom's that I simply can't master as well as she has. Barbara Mooers requested that I post it, so I did. My mom being a "dump cook" just throws it together and it tastes wonderful. I follow this recipe to the letter and it never tastes as good as hers though. Hope you have some luck with it.
My Private Note
- 1Place chicken in large pot, cover completely with water.
- 2Boil chicken until cooked through.
- 3Remove chicken and let cool.
- 4When chicken is cool begin pulling meat from the bird.
- 5Meanwhile, when broth is still warm add chicken soup base/boullion.
- 6Season to your tastes, I use approx.
- 72 tablespoon.
- 8Some people may want more.
- 9You may also add salt and pepper if you choose.
- 10The broth will be fairly salty, so I would taste to be sure.
- 11Mix flour and broth to create dough.
- 12You will mix 1/2 cup of flour for every cup of dough.
- 13I would begin by starting with 1/2 cup of flour to 1 cup of dough, as that makes quite a bit.
- 14Repeat if you want to double the recipe.
- 15Stir, and then work with hands to form dough.
- 16This dough will be sticky.
- 17Place on well floured surface, cover outside of doughball with flour, so rolling pin won't stick.
- 18Turn chicken broth up to about medium heat, you want it really hot, but not to the point of boiling.
- 19Roll dough out to approximately the width of 1/8 inch.
- 20Cut into long strips, and then cut long strips into sections approximately 2 inches long.
- 21When broth is ready begin dropping dough strips into pot.
- 22Do not stir, just push down to bottom of pot.
- 23When dumplings are done, add chicken meat.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 80.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 21.3 g