Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have no idea where this recipe originated, but as children we would request it for our birthday dinner and being 5 of us, we got to have it often!! While its cooking the aroma takes me right back to those times. You might want to make extra sauce its so good over rice!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 12 white mushrooms, sliced
- Season flour with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour shaking off excess. Heat oil in frying pan and brown chicken on both sides.
- Meanwhile make sauce. Mix mushroom soup, chicken broth, orange juice, white wine, ginger and brown sugar together. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place browned chicken in large oven proof dish and pour sauce over and add the carrots, celery and mushroom.
- Cook in a 350 oven for 1 hour until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
I should review this 3 times that's how many times I have made it so far. Had friends who had been ill. Took this to them they loved it also. Mine at home I served with homemade noodles.
Great tasting chicken! The aroma alone a five! The seasoned browned chicken combined with the sauce made for a wonderful supper. Made as posted using the wine option and genereous with the mushrooms.The orange juice and ginger add a special flavor to the sauce. A company quality meal that I know family and friends will enjoy. Made for Spring PAC. Recipe went into my Family Favorites cookbook.