I have yet to find a recipe for cheesy potatoes to beat my mother's! Definitely the best comfort food and awesome with a side of ham. This recipe has canned green chilies in it which gives it that extra something to top the usual funeral potatoes!
- 6-8 potatoes
- 453.59 g sour cream
- 297.66 g can cream of chicken soup
- 141.74 g milk, I usually use the empty coc soup can and fill it 1/4-1/2 way
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 56.69 g canned diced green chiles
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml corn flakes or 236.59 ml potato chips, every once in a while we will add this to the top of the casserole
- *Reduced or fat free ingredients it will change the overall flavor and consistency so keep that in mind if reviewing :)*.
- Boil potatoes with skin on and 1 bay leaf for about 20-25 minutes (make sure you do not over boil your potatoes, they still need to be firm enough to grate). Prep or cook time doesn't include boil time.
- Peel and grate cooled potatoes into your 9x13 baking dish.
- In a saucepan heat butter, coc soup, sour cream, 1 c cheese, onions and chilies; stir until ingredients have melted or are well combined.
- S & P to taste.
- Add grated potatoes to saucepan and mix until blended.
- Add 5 oz milk or just enough that mixture isn't too wet.
- Spoon into the 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes Optional: If you like a little crunch, add corn flakes or broken potato chips to the top of the cheese.
I was wondering if any other cream soup would work instead. I observe kosher laws and can not use cream of chicken soup ( not kosher). Other options would be cream of mushroom, celery, or potato.
Oh yeah baby!!!!!! You butter grab a couple napkins for this one. Cheesiest, tangiest, moistest pot of potatoes you will ever devour. This one is a for sure at my funeral.
Finally a recipe for funeral potatoes that doesn't use frozen hash browns and too much cream o chicken soup. This turned out great! Cheesy, tangy, moist. Perfect.