1/1 Photo of Mom's Cheesy Potato Casserole Aka Funeral Potatoes
Rollin in the Dough!'s Note:
I have yet to find a recipe for cheesy potatoes to beat my mother's! Definitely the best comfort food and awesome with a side of ham. This recipe has canned green chilies in it which gives it that extra something to top the usual funeral potatoes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 potatoes
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 5 ounces milk, I usually use the empty coc soup can and fill it 1/4-1/2 way
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 ounces canned diced green chiles
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup corn flakes or 1 cup potato chips, every once in a while we will add this to the top of the casserole
- 1*Reduced or fat free ingredients it will change the overall flavor and consistency so keep that in mind if reviewing :)*.
- 2Boil potatoes with skin on and 1 bay leaf for about 20-25 minutes (make sure you do not over boil your potatoes, they still need to be firm enough to grate). Prep or cook time doesn't include boil time.
- 3Peel and grate cooled potatoes into your 9x13 baking dish.
- 4In a saucepan heat butter, coc soup, sour cream, 1 c cheese, onions and chilies; stir until ingredients have melted or are well combined.
- 5S & P to taste.
- 6Add grated potatoes to saucepan and mix until blended.
- 7Add 5 oz milk or just enough that mixture isn't too wet.
- 8Spoon into the 9x13 baking dish.
- 9Top with remaining cheese and bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes Optional: If you like a little crunch, add corn flakes or broken potato chips to the top of the cheese.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Cheesy Potato Casserole Aka Funeral Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.6 mg
- Sodium 409.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 7.8 g