Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
When I was little I loved nothing more than my Mom's mashed potatoes and corn. One day she decided to combine both of my favorites into a casserole. It turned out fabulous and it became a regular family favorite. It was usually served with a great meat loaf and a salad.
- 6 medium potatoes (Idaho or Russet)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the water to cook the potatoes)
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans corn, drained well
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (mild)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Put the potatoes in a pan and just cover them with cold water. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil and boil gently for 15-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or use an electric mixer on low. Don't try and get the potatoes to be lump free, as that is part of what makes them good.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Pour well drained corn into the pan (make sure the corn is REALLY well drained there will be too much liquid. I press on the corn with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to sop up the extra liquid).
- Cover the corn with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top of the mashed potatoes with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve with a serving spoon.
Whenever I make corn and mashed potatoes as a side dish I end up mixing them on my plate and topping with cheese. When I seen this recipe today I knew it would be good. I did add some Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning just cause I like the flavor in my potatoes. Thanks for the recipe on putting them together in one dish.
I used leftover mashed potatoes to make this, so it was super-easy to put together and bake. We enjoyed the combination of potatoes and corn as a side dish with chicken.
My family loved this. I did cheat a bit, I used instant potatoes because I don't make "real" mashed potatoes. Other then that, I followed the recipe as written. My kids loved everything mixed together. It was really tasty and easy to make. I will be making this again. This would be great to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes also.