Recipe by KPD
This is my favorite broccoli rice casserole...maybe it's because it's so darn creamy and cheesy I don't even notice the broccoli! :) Enjoy!
Top Review by bawhite1960
This is my go to recipe for family gatherings. It gets rave reviews from everyone! Easy to make and oh so tastey! Sometimes for an added twist I toss in a can of water chestnuts!
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, microwaved about 6 minutes to thaw
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can premium chunk chicken (I sometimes use 2 or the large can when I'm treating this as a one-dish meal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and celery in butter until soft. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Saute a minute or so to marry flavors.
- In a large bowl, combine soups, milk, rice, broccoli, onion/chicken mixture. Fold in 2 cups cheese.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese (I sometimes use more -- it's terrible, I know! ;).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes uncovered.