Recipe by Debbwl
These were a rare and special treat my Mother would make for my brother and I when we were young. The topping I listed is sugar and cinnamon because that is what we always had as children. But these quick doughnuts can be topped with any number of things such as a chocolate glaze, powdered sugar or even a plain glaze sprinkled with nuts.
- deep frying oil
- 7 1⁄2 ounces buttermilk biscuits
- sugar (4 tablespoons sugar) or cinnamon-sugar mixture (4 tablespoons sugar to 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
FOR OPTIONAL GLAZE
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In deep fat fryer or heavy saucepan, heat about 1 quart oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits.
- Cut hole in center of biscuits, using small cookie cutter.
- Fry biscuits and holes in oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit a few at a time for about 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add cinnamon sugar (optional): While warm, roll in sugar or cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Add glaze (optional):.
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Dip donuts in the glaze.