Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A house full of growing boys and rising meat prices have called for drastic menu measures. Fortunately, this is a cheap, tasty, filling recipe for taco meat that everyone in the family loves. It turns 1 pound of meat into 3 pounds of filling, no mixes necessary!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cansrosarita refried beans
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 shakes cayenne pepper
- In large skillet, begin browning ground beef over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, dice onion. Add to pan and cook until beef is brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add refried beans and mix thoroughly. Turn heat down to medium low.
- Add seasonings to taste: these are the rough amounts of spices I use, but I don't measure so much as add till it's right. You can add whatever spices you like, but CUMIN is the magic ingredient that makes it taste like tacos, so don't skip it.
- Cook until beans are heated through, serve while still warm.
- Use in tacos, on nachos, taco salad, etc. This makes about 3 pounds of filling, and when combined with vegetables, cheese, salsa, etc. our family of 7 can have 2-3 large soft tacos apiece.