Recipe by KennKonn
Posted as a request. I havent made it but have enjoyed it every year at Christmas. Its not Christmas without my mom's carrot pudding. She reheats it in the jars in the microwave with a piece of plastic wrap over the top, stirring occasionally till hot. Serves it with a hard sauce and whipping cream. Prep time is approx, Cooking time is processing time in the canner.
Top Review by Bergy
I want to thank you KeenKoon for coming to my rescue and posting this recipe. I followed the instructions exactly - they were well written and easy to follow. I have never made a carrott pudding before and made these as a gift - I can't award stars until I hear how they were enjoyed. Will post additional review & stars after Christmas
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup use more raisins
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherry, mixed (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raw carrot, finely grated
- 1 cup potato, raw finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine raisins, currants, fruit and almonds.
- Sift together flour, soda, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg over fruit. Stir to coat fruit.
- Cream shortening until smooth, add sugar and beat until light. Add egg and beat until fluffy. Add carrot and 1/2 the potato, blend. Gradually add flour fruit mixture and blend. Add remaining potato. Stir just to blend.
- Mom usually times this by 4 and can in quarts. Only fill quarts 3/4 full. Place lids on it and place in canner. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To reheat, unseal jar and place in microwave covered with plastic wrap till hot, stir occasionally.