Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my husband's favorite. The 3 layers are just about too high for a cake keeper, so I often cut the recipe in half and make a 2 layer cake instead. I know 3 divided by 2 doesn't equal 2, but it's close enough! I included two frosting options.
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 226.79 g crushed pineapple
- 709.77 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 473.18 ml grated raw carrots
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml finely diced walnuts
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- 118.29 ml butter, softened (or 1/3-1/2 c sourcream)
- 226.79 g cream cheese
- 4.92-9.85 ml vanilla
- 453.59 g powdered sugar
- 29.58-44.37 ml finely diced walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease, flour and paper three 8" or 9" cake pans.
- Cream sugars and oil, add applesauce, then eggs one at a time, then vanilla and pineapple.
- Sift dry ingredients and add gradually to creamed mixture.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, walnuts and coconut.
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 35 minutes or until done.
- Mix frosting and frost cake - once it has cooled completely. For Mom's frosting, use butter. For my frosting, substitute sourcream for butter, starting with the lower amount and increasing if needed. Garnish with diced walnuts.
- If you prefer the frosting thicker, add more powdered sugar. If you prefer it thinner, add more sourcream.