Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From my Family Recipe Box, I remember Mom making this when I was little. I remember icing on it, though, which isn't included below. A cream cheese icing would be nice. From the Family Recipe Box, in Mom's handwriting, dated 11/9/70.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can applesauce or 1 can crushed pineapple
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg or 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup nuts or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup candied fruit ("or" a mixture of all three) (optional)
- Combine sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Add the applesauce or pineapple.
- Sift together flour with cinnamon, salt, soda, and nutmeg or allspice.
- Add flour mixture to first mixture.
- Add grated carrots.
- Add nuts, raisins, or candied fruit, if using.
- Bake in tube pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- It is recommended that you do not double this recipe.