Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom never wrote this recipe down and I call my favorite every year for the recipe! Of course she never wrote it down either!!! This is one of those recipes that takes me back when I taste it. I'm going to do my best to write what my "Aunt Poddy" tells me every year, using the amounts as best as I can, but I will still call her every year just to have her walk me through it!!!! My brother got to taste them this year and he said it was just like mom's, so maybe I'm getting it right!!!
- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes (save the liquid)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 -15 large marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in casserole dish, single layer.
- Using liquid from potatoes, mix in sugar, syrup, butter, cinnamon, orange juice and lemon.
- Stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Pour over potatoes, then sprinkle a bit more cinnamon over top.
- Cover and bake in 350 oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top with marshmellows and broil until brown. Watch constantly as this takes only a few minutes!