Recipe by Belinda in Austin, TX
We used to have these "camp fire" potatoes as an accompaniment to The Kim Family Korean Beef Recipe when we went camping. Today, however, mom and I have both given up camping, and make these yummy potatoes in the oven! (Although, I highly recommend that you grill the Korean Beef!)
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Glad I don't have to go camping to make these fantastic potatoes. I made these as written, except that I forgot the margarine. Probably just as well because it made the dish lower in fat, and certainly did not short-change the flavour. Made and enjoyed for Pick a Chef.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or cubed
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, but not overcooked; peel off the skin and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 quart casserole dish (or 8 in square pan); layer 1/2 of potatoes, green onions, margarine, salt and pepper, bacon, and cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending with bacon and cheese.
- Bake uncovered until bubbly (approx. 20 minutes).
- Note: If making this recipe on a grill, put all ingredients in a pouch made of 2 layers of heavy-duty foil, greased inside with cooking spray. Be careful not to let the bottom of the potatoes burn!