Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my family's favorite get together dish. Very simple and turns out great. Can be made in advance then warmed up for get-togethers. Very convenient. Awesome with some warm french bread or rolls. My ultimate comfort food when I want to go home and sit around my moms kitchen table. Prep time includes chopping and baking chicken breasts. To save time you can also buy a chicken from the store and just shred it and use some canned chicken broth. Also good to take to friends who just had babies, etc.
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, finely shredded
- 3 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- shrimp (optional)
- 1 smoked sausage ring, chopped (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 cup water
- olive oil
- cooked white rice
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- creole seasoning (Chef Tony's brand)
- garlic powder
- Bake chicken breasts in oven at 350°F until done with whatever seasons you like. The Chef Tony's brand Creole seasoning with some garlic powder works well.
- When chicken is done, add water to it to make the broth. Let cool then shred chicken breasts; set aside.
- Fill bottom of pot with olive oil.
- Add onions, green bell peppers, and celery. Sauté until onions are done. You want to have a pretty even mixture of the three.
- Add flour for thickening.
- Add shredded chicken and "broth", tomatoes (juice too), seasonings and any optional ingredients.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until all the flavors mesh. You want it to be like a thick stew--if it's too thick add some hot water and if it's too runny add some more tomatoes or some roux (1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup flour melted).
- Serve over warm white rice and if you have it some warm French bread or rolls.
- Sometimes it's too thick if you reheat it--it's completely normal--just add some hot water or tomatoes.