Recipe by Adams Momma
I grew up on these and absolutely love them. When I visit my mother and she asks what I want for dinner, this is it. Specifically, I use Jimmy Dean sausage with sage already in it, Basmati rice, cook them in an old electric skillet and baste them with the juice a couple of times while they're cooking.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 32 ounces v 8 vegetable juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Submerge cabbage into boiling water and cook for about 10 mins (or until soft).
- Remove and set into cold water.
- Rinse kraut, drain and spread into skillet.
- Mix chopped onion, beef, sausage, salt, rice, sage and tomato sauce well with hands in a large bowl.
- Roll meat mixture into small, fist-sized balls, lay inside cabbage leaves, roll them up and fasten them with toothpicks.
- Set cabbage rolls on top of the kraut.
- Pour V8 all over.
- Cover and cook for an hour at 250 degrees.