Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A family favorite!
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced thinly (or Granny Smith)
- 158.51 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml lemon zest
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 0.59 ml clove
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a 9” round baking dish with butter.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter. Add the apples and fry until tender, 5-10 minutes, over medium to medium-high heat, moving the apples around to be sure they are all coated in the butter and watching them so that they do not burn.
- While apples are frying, in a bowl stir together flour, salt and baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, vanilla extract and lemon zest until creamy and well mixed.
- Stir apples with the melted butter into egg and sugar mixture and mix quickly so that the hot butter does not scramble the eggs.
- Once apples are covered, add the flour mixture and mix to coat apples.
- Spoon into 9" round buttered baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake forms a brown crust on top.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert, then flip back over, apple-side-up, and let cool completely before serving.
I made this in the early morning. The plan was to serve it later, after dinner. The house smelled so good and it looked so scrumptious when it came out of the over, that it became breakfast! We ate half the cake in one sitting, with lots of coffee. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
Boy was this delicious! So easy to make, and we loved every bite. The spice mix was particularly delicious. I used gluten free cake flour mix (1 part brown rice flour, 1 part millet flour, 1 part potato starch) and reduced the sugar to 2/3 cup because we are used to very low sweetness LOL It was absolutely fantastic, and I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing this gem!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Family Picks (Scandinavia) for The Apron String Travelers
OMG! This is soo good! I do not like fruit that has been cooked such as pie or cobbler but this was amazing. I think I liked this because it is cake based. This is a easy, quick dessert if you decide to have guests over at the last minute. Serve it with fresh whip cream and your guests will go home with fond memories! Made for ZWT9 for the Gourmet Goddesses July 2013.