Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Mom's recipe book.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 lb chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300°F Grease an 8x8 pan with butter.
- Put chocolate and butter in top of double boiler, stirring occasionally, until melted. Set aside off heat.
- Beat sugar and eggs with stand or hand mixer until a ribbon forms when a spoonful of liquid is allowed to fall back into the bowl.
- Add spoonfuls of warm melted chocolate, beating well after each addition until fully incorporated. Do not add too quickly, to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Add walnuts and toss until coated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir well until well moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan in oven. Leave oven door slightly ajar for first 2 minutes, then close door and bake 20 minutes.