Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
OK, so these aren't the healthiest bars in the world, but a crowd favorites nonetheless! These were one of my favorites that my mom made when I was little. These are always a quick, easy option when you need a treat to bring to an event! You won't be bringing any leftovers home! :)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup margarine (I use margarine) or 2⁄3 cup shortening (I use margarine)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- Cream shortening and sugar well, until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients (batter will be thick).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Do not over bake. Top should be slightly crusty and middle will be somewhat gooey.).
I thought these were almost too rich, but my DH and good friend thought they were perfectly wonderful! I used half butterscotch chips and half chocolate chips..
Great texture, chew and flavor. I made them with a couple of Symphony bars (milk chocolate, toffee and almond) in place of the chocolate chips because apparently someone (my money's on DH) got a serious sweet tooth and went through an entire bag of chocolate chips... Go figure. At any rate, these were good good good!