1/8 Photos of Mom's Best Tomato Soup Canning Recipe
1 hr 50 mins
My Mennonite mother's 'famous' tomato soup - hard to beat! Perfect anytime of the year! Enjoy! Here's what I purchased (for you to use as a baseline reference): - to yield 75 quarts of soup - 3 bushels of tomatoes, 6 lbs. butter, 5 lbs. sugar, 3 bunches celery, 5 lbs. flour. Hope that helps! (RECIPE BELOW IS FOR 8-10 QUARTS) (I make lots, and then frequently give this as a gift for a new mother, a hostess gift (when invited to dinner), a get-well meal, etc..) Super quick - easy to make, and can easily add garlic bread and a salad and dessert for a quick meal to bless someone. ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop onion& celery.
- 2Place in large kettle w/ just enough water to keep them from burning.
- 3While this simmers, cut tomatoes (remove stems if not using strainer).
- 4Add to kettle& cook until tender.
- 5Place this all through Victorio strainer (or similar).
- 6Return to kettle.
- 7Add sugar& salt.
- 8Cream butter and flour together& mix thoroughly with two cups of COLD juice, until dissolved (or blend together in a blender), to avoid lumps of flour in the juice.
- 9Add butter/flour mixture to warmed tomato juice. (Add before it's hot, to avoid lumps of flour!).
- 10Stir well.
- 11Heat just until hot. (If it gets to a boil, it can make the flour lumpy).
- 12Just prior to boiling, turn off the burner. (It will continue to thicken as it cools.).
- 13Ladle into jars& close securely with lids.
- 14Return to canner & process 20-30 minutes (start timing when it's at a 'rolling' boil).
- 15Remove from canner & allow to set until sealed (approx. 12 hours) To serve, mix equal parts tomato concentrate to milk, and add 1/2 t. of baking soda per pint as it cooks (1 t. per quart).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Best Tomato Soup Canning Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (7525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.2
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 3827.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 48.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g