A thirty year old recipe that just seems to get better with time. I went to visit my daughter 3000 miles away and I still had to make the stuffing for dinner.
- 12 ounces bulk sausage or 12 ounces sausage links
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 6 cups cornbread stuffing mix
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- Saute sausage until brown; remove from pan and cut into small bites.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onion, celery, and mushrooms over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer sausage and veggies, including any butter that is left in the pan to a bowl.
- Add stuffing mix, bread cubes, sage, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, pecans, turkey stock, and eggs.
- Toss well and adjust seasoning.
- Stuffing should be moist but not soggy. Add more stock if needed.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake in a 325 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered until heated through and crust forms on top.
- Or better yet stuff it into a big fat turkey.