1/10 Photos of Mom's Best Soft Gingerbread Cookies (New! Gb House Directions!)
This is my mom's recipe that just can't be beat. I don't know where the recipe came from, I just know they're good! I like them plain with raisins for decoration, but you can go all-out if you want! Have fun and enjoy!! *I used this recipe to make my gingerbread house, but the directions are slightly different for this. **See bottom of page.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place cloves in hot water; set aside.
- 2Cream shortening and sugar.
- 3Add egg and beat.
- 4Add molasses, beat.
- 5Remove cloves from water, discard cloves.
- 6Add clove water, beat. *Dough will look "curdled".
- 7Add rest of ingredients, except the last 4 cups flour, and beat. Gradually beat in last 4 cups flour.
- 8Chill dough.
- 9Roll out to 1/2" thick or slightly less.
- 10Cut into shapes.
- 11Decorate with raisins if desired.
- 12Place carefully on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 13Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- 14*GB House directions:.
- 15Make dough the same as above, but roll dough out thin, 1/4" at most.
- 16Bake in 325 oven for about 20 minutes.
- 17Remove to racks to cool, and let harden/dry out a bit overnight for sturdiness if making large pieces.
- 18*Doors and windows need to be cut out PRIOR to baking. Fill any with crushed hard candy before baking, too. And pieces filled with hard candy baked the best on foil. Non candy-filled pieces were baked on parchment paper.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Best Soft Gingerbread Cookies (New! Gb House Directions!)
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.8
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 10.3 mg
- Sodium 246.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 24.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g