This is my mom's recipe that just can't be beat. I don't know where the recipe came from, I just know they're good! I like them plain with raisins for decoration, but you can go all-out if you want! Have fun and enjoy!! *I used this recipe to make my gingerbread house, but the directions are slightly different for this. **See bottom of page.
- Place cloves in hot water; set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and beat.
- Add molasses, beat.
- Remove cloves from water, discard cloves.
- Add clove water, beat. *Dough will look "curdled".
- Add rest of ingredients, except the last 4 cups flour, and beat. Gradually beat in last 4 cups flour.
- Chill dough.
- Roll out to 1/2" thick or slightly less.
- Cut into shapes.
- Decorate with raisins if desired.
- Place carefully on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- *GB House directions:.
- Make dough the same as above, but roll dough out thin, 1/4" at most.
- Bake in 325 oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove to racks to cool, and let harden/dry out a bit overnight for sturdiness if making large pieces.
- *Doors and windows need to be cut out PRIOR to baking. Fill any with crushed hard candy before baking, too. And pieces filled with hard candy baked the best on foil. Non candy-filled pieces were baked on parchment paper.
I had never made gingerbread cookies before and thought this was the perfect recipe to start with (as I already had all the ingredients on hand). The cookies turned out great and were so easy to make. The cooking times were spot on and the directions easy enough to follow. The results were awesome tasting gingerbread cookies. I also liked that these cookies were a bit on the softer side. Before, I never would have thought to make my own gingerbread cookies, and now I will never think to buy them from a store. Thank you!
The cookies turned out soft and delicious. Steeping the cloves in the water seems to ease the "bite" that you get with cloves sometimes. I reduced the heat and baking time a smidge for the "second roll-out" and the cookies were perfect.
Everyone loved this cookie!!!! They were all gone by the end of Christmas day . My little 2 year old grandson couldn't stop eating them!!! Will keep this in my written cookbooks for all time!!!