Recipe by jess21
I actually called my mother on the other side of the world and woke her up in the middle of the night because I HAD to have this with dinner that day, and I couldn't find a recipe like this here.
- 1 1⁄3 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, only
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Oil a cast ironskillet and heat in the oven while you make the batter.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and corn syrup until well blended, add skim milk, whisk again. Whisk in yogurt until just dissolved.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir well.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Remove skillet from oven, spray with Pam (or melt a bit of butter in it). Pour in batter and bake about 15 minutes till lightly golden. Serve warm.
- NOTE: It is important to use a pre-heated cast-iron skillet. I've tried other dishes but it won't seem to cook properly in anything else.