1/1 Photo of Mom's Best Skillet Cornbread
I actually called my mother on the other side of the world and woke her up in the middle of the night because I HAD to have this with dinner that day, and I couldn't find a recipe like this here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Oil a cast ironskillet and heat in the oven while you make the batter.
- 3Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- 4Whisk together buttermilk and corn syrup until well blended, add skim milk, whisk again. Whisk in yogurt until just dissolved.
- 5Beat egg whites until stiff.
- 6Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir well.
- 7Fold in the egg whites.
- 8Remove skillet from oven, spray with Pam (or melt a bit of butter in it). Pour in batter and bake about 15 minutes till lightly golden. Serve warm.
- 9NOTE: It is important to use a pre-heated cast-iron skillet. I've tried other dishes but it won't seem to cook properly in anything else.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Best Skillet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.7
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 763.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g