1/1 Photo of Mom's Best Skillet Cornbread
I actually called my mother on the other side of the world and woke her up in the middle of the night because I HAD to have this with dinner that day, and I couldn't find a recipe like this here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Oil a cast ironskillet and heat in the oven while you make the batter.
- 3Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- 4Whisk together buttermilk and corn syrup until well blended, add skim milk, whisk again. Whisk in yogurt until just dissolved.
- 5Beat egg whites until stiff.
- 6Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir well.
- 7Fold in the egg whites.
- 8Remove skillet from oven, spray with Pam (or melt a bit of butter in it). Pour in batter and bake about 15 minutes till lightly golden. Serve warm.
- 9NOTE: It is important to use a pre-heated cast-iron skillet. I've tried other dishes but it won't seem to cook properly in anything else.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Best Skillet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.7
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 763.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g