Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I actually called my mother on the other side of the world and woke her up in the middle of the night because I HAD to have this with dinner that day, and I couldn't find a recipe like this here.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Oil a cast ironskillet and heat in the oven while you make the batter.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and corn syrup until well blended, add skim milk, whisk again. Whisk in yogurt until just dissolved.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir well.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Remove skillet from oven, spray with Pam (or melt a bit of butter in it). Pour in batter and bake about 15 minutes till lightly golden. Serve warm.
- NOTE: It is important to use a pre-heated cast-iron skillet. I've tried other dishes but it won't seem to cook properly in anything else.
This is perfect and just the way I remember it from my southern days. Its crusty/crunchy and soft inside. You can't beat cast iron! Thank you for posting.
This was very nice with a lovely texture. I found it got tastier as it cooled. I will definitely make it again and next time I will add some extra sharp cheddar or diced jalapenos. Thanks for the recipe!
Creamy and delicious! I topped it with butter and a drizzle of honey. The cast iron skillet is definitely a must. Please give me your mother's phone number in case I lose this recipe!