Recipe by mrsteacher22
My mom gave me this recipe from a restaurant that she managed for many years. It is simply the best. If you have time, it is very much worth to make.
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 slices bacon, uncooked and chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 ounce brandy
- 1 ounce white wine
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄8 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb red potatoes, cubed (leave skins on)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄2 pint half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion with bacon and carrots.
- Add pepper, thyme, brandy, and white wine. Heat for a couple minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add parsley, salt and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are barely tender.
- In another pan, make roux. (For roux: melt butter, add flour. Stir together and cook low for 10 minutes. It will make a kind of paste.).
- Add roux to soup: take a little soup, about 1/2 cup, and add to roux first, keep stirring; pour into soup when roux is thick and runny.
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add whipping cream and half & half. DO NOT BOIL! Simmer until thickened.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese.