Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a basic Alabamian potato salad that has tested the time for many important holidays. Easy and tastes awesome, especially on the 2nd day when all the flavors mix. Can be served cold or hot (first day).
- 4 -6 cups white potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle
- 1 medium onion
- 3 -4 stalks celery
- 6 -8 hard-boiled eggs
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- salt and pepper
- In a 2" sauce pan fill with 4-6 peeled chopped potato's (about 1/2" squares).
- pour in larger pan and pour water about 1/2" below top of potato's.
- salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5-10 min, or until potato is "fork tender".
- chop/dice dill pickle.
- dice medium onion.
- fine dice celery.
- mix 1 cup mayo and 2-3 tablespoons of regular mustard.
- drain potatoes in collander (don't rinse).
- pour hot water from eggs and let sit in cold water.
- peel when cooler and chop.
- salt and pepper dill, onion, and celery in serving bowl, mix, then GENTLY fold in potato (while hot).
- GENTLY mix in mayo/mustard and 4 chopped hard boiled eggs.
- slice 2-4 eggs to put on top of salad, salt pepper and sprinkle light with cayenne.
- Cover with saran wrap and let sit over night for best flavor or serve immediately.
- tastes great hot too.
I make my potato salad very similar to this one. I love the addition of dill pickles rather than the sweet relish that are in so many recipes. I did put the eggs in my salad using 6 altogether. I don't like big chunks in mine, so I mash them with a fork then use my fingers to make sure they are really mashed good. I used 6 lg. potatoes too. I added a little more mayonnaise to suit my taste, as it didn't seem to have quite enough. Good to the last bite!
Delicious! Easy and quick to put together, yummy flavor! Thank you LOGMAN! Made for Pick a Chef(PAC)!